Stamps of Approval
Today the UK's Royal Mail released a special issue of ten stamps that feature "some of the finest public buildings erected in the last 20 years."
We're excited to see these stamps since it's not everyday that architects or architecture – much less contemporary architecture – is put on stamps. Zaha Hadid graced an Iraqi stamp last year, while this year's Royal Mail stamps include one of her creations: the London Acquatics Centre built for the 2012 Olympics. Here is the full list of "Landmark Buildings":
- Eden Project in St. Austell by Grimshaw
- Everyman Theatre in Liverpool by Haworth Tompkins
- Giant's Causeway Visitor Centre in Bushmills by heneghan peng architects
- Imperial War Museum North in Manchester by Studio Libeskind
- London Acquatics Centre in London by Zaha Hadid Architects
- Library of Birmingham in Birmingham by Mecanoo
- National Assembly for Wales in Cardiff by Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners
- Scottish Parliament in Edinburgh by EMBT and RMJM
- SEC Armadillo in Glasgow by Foster + Partners
- Switch House, Tate Modern in London by Herzog & de Meuron
Those interested in purchasing the stamps can find them at the Royal Mail Shop.